Part One: Clean out your closet.
I have discovered that sometimes it can actually be better to have fewer clothes. (I know, I know, what is this crazy talk?) I have never had a lot of money, and so sometimes it can be hard to buy all of the items I would like to have in my closet. Because of this I have often given into the "its a good deal" syndrome and have bought something just because it was a good price and I was able to get more for my money (but not really), not because it was the thing I really wanted.
For the past year or so I have been really trying to make an effort to buy fewer, but better quality clothing. In addition to that, I regularly clean out my closet. It has taken me a while to sufficiently pare it down, but it is now only contains items that I really like and really wear. I have less than I used to, but oddly, it feels like more. Maybe its because I am not sifting through old clothes that I don't like, or that don't fit, trying to find something to wear. I used to do this thing where I would "save" my favorite clothes for special occasions and wear my old, less cute stuff on just regular days. But I never really felt happy in them. Now, because I only own pieces that I really like, I am happy with my outfit pretty much everyday, no matter what I wear. So, I recommend that you clean out that closet and see how it makes you feel. Here are some tips:
Get rid of items that:
- Don't fit
- It may not fit because you have gained or lost weight, or it may be an item that just doesn't fit your body type (ie: a maxi skirt on short legs, or a shirt in your size that just doesn't fit across your broad shoulders)
- It may be an item that once fit but has since shrunk in the laundry, or stretched out from use
- You haven't worn for over 1 year
- Look, the truth is you are just not going to wear it. If its been over a year its time to let it go. Go on. You can do it.
- Have irreparable damage (holes, broken zippers, stains that won't come out)
- If you can sew, rips on seams, lost buttons, or minor alterations can all be taken care of, but any damage greater than that probably means its time to retire the item
- Looks worn out from excessive wear
- Sometimes we just wear clothes out. And you can tell. So even if its your very favorite item, if its pilling (although there is a trick for that that I will share later), stretched out, faded, has armpit stains, or any other signs of much love, it may be time to say goodbye.
I know this may seem difficult, but cleaning must come first before any other tips will be effective. Heck, you may even find some stuff in there that you forgot about. If nothing else, cleaning is therapeutic, and you will be on your way to fully appreciating your wardrobe.
No comments:
Post a Comment